Day One of NW Nitro Motorcycle Nationals in the Books
With the first day of exhilarating racing action completed at the 20th running of the Team Latus Motors NW Nitro Motorcycle Nationals, it’s hard to imagine it can be any better than this. With feature passes made by the Top Fuel Harleys, Nostalgia Alcohol Funny Cars, and all of the other great classes in attendance, the riders and drivers of today’s action kept everyone on their feet. Two individual winners were crowned today, namely Gary Tokos in Harley Gambler, and Michael Gosselin, who claimed honors with his ’99 Suzuki in the Metric Gambler.
The featured cars of this event included both the lightning-quick Top Fuel Harleys as well as the Nostalgia Alcohol Funny Cars. Of an interesting note is Steve Dorn, the heavily favored Top Fuel Harley winner from last year, who was rendered unable to compete after making contact with the retainer wall on Friday’s test and tune. Tommy Grimes will go into Sunday’s eliminations with the number one qualifying position after his 6.361 blast at over 218mph. Damien Cownden is the number two qualifier with a 6.497, and Ron Gledhill number three with a 6.613. In the BB/Funny Cars, Todd Swinford currently holds the number one position with his rocketing 6.631 pass at 209.49mph, with Justin Taylor number two with a 6.649 at 214.08, and Brent Murray in the number three position with a 6.672 at 204.87. With all eliminations scheduled for tomorrow at noon, it will be a day that you won’t want to miss.
Motorcycle categories were also run to completion with a gamblers race for the Harley and Metric racers. In the Harley category, it was Gary Tokos who downed Victoria Bentz in the final with a stellar .007 reaction time start. Tony Morgan and Scott Martin were the semi-finalist. In the Metric category, Michael Gosselin also earned a large starting line advantage by virtue of his .038 reaction time. Nick Puhl was the lone semi-finalist.
Top Fuel Harley Qualifying
1. Tommy Grimes, 6.361, 218.07mph
2. Damien Cownden, 6.497, 243.90mph
3. Ron Gledhill, 6.613, 208.09mph
4. Randal Andras, 6.643, 211.21mph
5. Mike Scott, 6.671, 205.24mph
6. Steve Heidner, 6.763, 201.79mph
7. Dana Meeks, 7.001, 152.49mph
8. Steve Ruggiero, 7.087, 185.10mph
9. Kevin Boyer, 7.654, 161.34mph
10. Mike Ruggiero, 8.661, 114.97mph
Nostalgia Alcohol Funny Car Qualifying
1. Todd Swinford, 6.631, 209.49mph
2. Justin Taylor, 6.649, 214.08mph
3. Brent Murray, 6.672, 204.87mph
4. Russ Parker, 6.673, 210.03mph
5. Scott Sagor, 6.735, 209.30mph
6. Kim Parker, 6.745, 203.94mph
7. Greg Howland, 6.764, 206.13mph
8. Ron Huegli, 6.778, 204.49mph
9. Shane Harter, 6.789, 206.99mph
10. Matt Driscoll, 6.807, 220.48
11. Mark Tarabochi, 6.909, 115.25mph
12. Don Harter, 6.964, 198.06mph
Winner: Gary Tokos, East Olympia WA (’06 Harley) [.007] 9.718, 136.50 (9.60 dial).
R/U: Victoria Bentz, Prescott Valley AZ (’06 Destroyer) [.145] 9.923, 127.53 (9.51 dial).
Semi’s: Tony Morgan, Colton OR; Scott Martin, Portland OR.
Winner: Michael Gosselin, Bremerton WA (’99 Suzuki) [.038] 8.550, 135.58 (8.44 dial).
R/U: Nick Kroske, Bend OR (’92 Suzuki) [.118] 8.471, 154.18 (8.39 dial).
Semi’s: Nick Puhl, Port Orford OR.